Special Needs Services
Special Needs Registry
The Special Needs Registry is designed to assist Florida residents who need transportation or sheltering assistance due to a declared emergency. To register, contact your local county emergency management agency.
PRECO’s Medically Essential Service Program
The Medically Essential Service Program identifies residential members who depend on continuously operating electric-powered medical equipment to sustain life or prevent serious medical complications.
The benefit of the program is advanced notification of interruption of service due to non-payment of an electric bill or scheduled outages.
Participation in the program:
- Does not guarantee uninterrupted electric service
- Does not exempt members from payment of electric bills
- Does not automatically extend electric bill due dates
- Does not provide priority restoration in the event of a power outage
To qualify*, the patient must:
- Reside at the member-of-record’s address
- Qualify and register annually and complete forms supplied by PRECO and signed by a Florida licensed physician
- Be dependent on continuously operating electric-powered medical equipment to sustain life or prevent serious medical complications
In the event of loss of power, it is the member’s responsibility to have a power backup system for their medical equipment, as well as an action plan for proceeding to the nearest medical facility.
*Florida Statute Title XXVII Chapter 366.15