Reporting and monitoring power outages couldn’t be easier: just text. Peace River Electric Cooperative’s outage texting service is simple, fast and convenient.
Here’s how it works. A simple text message from you puts your outage directly into our system. It’s just like calling in your outage, only faster.
What’s the key? The mobile number you use to text your outage must be listed on your PRECO account. There are three ways to update the number on your account:
- Access your account online at PRECO.coop or through our SmartHub mobile app.
- Call 800-282-3824 and follow the prompts to access your account.
- Speak to a Customer Care Representative by calling 800-282-3824.
How to Enroll
To begin using the outage texting system, you must first enroll by texting the word PRECO to 800-282-3824.
It’s as simple as that. The next time you have an outage, don’t call, just text.
Outage Texting FAQ
What commands are available? The system responds to three commands:
- OUT – Submit an outage directly to our dispatch center.
- STATUS – Request updates for an ongoing outage.
- HELP – An automated response will provide PRECO’s toll-free number and other information.
Am I being charged for this service? Outage texting is a free service. You may, however, incur standard text message or data charges from your mobile carrier.
Can I enroll in outage texting if I don’t have an automated meter? No. A small number of members have an analog meter on their electric service. Outage texting only works for automated meters.
How do I opt out of outage text messaging? Text STOP to 800-282-3824.